Wednesday, August 27, 2014

CONSIDERATION (A CONTINUATION OF "THE PLIGHT OF THE WOUNDED ELLY'" )

CONSIDERATION:

A play by Jude M.

Casting:

Hassan
The Hills
Amir
The Injured Elly
and, Man

The Man, a tourist at a five-star Safari Lodge is enjoying lunch at the garish dining hall overlooking a picturesque panoramic view of the Savanna outback, in all its wild and rugged glory.. animals roaming, exotic birds chirping, and... an injured elephant.. limping sluggishly to a nearby water hole. And just as it takes the first refreshing sip, it turns, and, as if aware of being watched, looks right in Man's face.. and their eyes 'connect.'

The Injured Elly: Man! Hey! Man! You, yes, you... looking at me so apathetically, so dismissively, so indifferently, from your lofty lodge.. Are you not unlike the walnut I trample beneath my feet, all dark and hollow? Have you no droplet of remorse in your heart, if at all you possess one? Are you not as barren and starved of emotion, as this dry red African earth I call 'maskani,' my dwelling place?

Man: Why do you call to me, you lonesome, pathetic, down-cast excuse of a beast ? ..with those weary eyes, as if begging me to toss a morsel of my 'five-star' Hors d'oeuvre  in your direction? Are you not but a prop in the Savanna landscape before me?.. Do I not pay to watch you roam and chew and tousle trees? Aren't you, if I'm not mistaken, but an object of my entertainment?

The Injured Elly: I am indeed, if you say I am. For clearly you see not beyond my grey, scaly casing ..as do the birds, that mock me, taunt me so, with their cheeky chirps, and sneering chuckles..

 A lack of connection.. is that not the definition of 'insensitivity' ..of a lack of consideration?

TO BE CONTINUED..


2 comments: