Friday, September 13, 2013

THE ROAD TO PARADISE

You must be envisioning that clean open traffic-free stretch of tarmac, lined with towering, dancing palm trees, that transitions smoothly up to a sunset-soaked shoreline.

Nay.

That is, as I have come to dreadfully discover, not at all how it is meant to be.

I have for a while been indulged in the engrossing book "Mind Is The Master" by the sage and spiritually fulfilled James Allen, whose words have indeed echoed through the ages. As he rightfully affirms, "...what success you achieve will be beyond human computation, and will never pass away; and what influence and power you wield will continue to increase throughout the ages...". And so we find his influential words overcome moth and pestilence, and offer a roadmap for the willing - into Paradise.

I wish to talk about the experience I had today:
" Torrential tears and bitter mourning, not over the loss of someone, but of something; something that could have 'been', that was right within my grasp and at that moment lost forever, as though a butterfly that has escaped from captivity.

A butterfly, beautiful and graceful, whose flight- the epitome of freedom, airy and effortless. Freedom which, I came to later learn, had to be attained through a passage of sorrow and loss.
Loss indeed is purifying in itself. Misfortune is a lesson, a step closer to, yes, Paradise. It is, as I further came to comprehend, inescapable, but as Allen adds, avoidable, only through enduring selflessness.

And so I sat down and offered my supplications and settled, remained patient and faithful to the Universal Law. And as sure as the sun doth shine, a call came, and it was the call I had been waiting for, praying for, longing for - and here it was, ensconced within my palms.

It felt unreal and my mind spiraled with the tangible anticipation for both good and bad news. And indeed it was good AND bad news. That I did not succeed in getting what I wanted, but what I NEEDED. "

Surely, may the James Allen legacy live on and on...

2 comments: